It’s human nature to judge people, whether we mean to do it or not. Mostly, we judge each other based on physical appearance and dress. It’s a harsh reality that people don’t even have to know each other to cast judgment! For example, do you know how society perceives people who wear eyeglasses? It’s an uncontrolled reaction—whether positive or negative—despite the fact that many folks wear glasses to correct their vision. Medically speaking, it’s the prescription lenses that are the most important part of a pair of eyeglasses, while the frames are chosen based on individual style.
So, do you know what your glasses and eyeglass frames in Oshkosh are saying to other people? Let’s check out some information on the subject, which was collected through psychological studies of how eyeglasses have an effect on how we see other people. According to studies, your prescription glasses or fashion glasses provide certain cues to others. Here are a few of them:
- Honesty: Your glasses can make you look more honest, as compared to someone who doesn’t wear glasses. You can wear just about any pair of eyeglasses with any style frames and still look like a more honest person! This doesn’t apply to sunglasses, however, because the dark lens film covers your eyes, preventing the eye contact needed for reading each other.
- Threat: Glasses result in a perceived lower threat level. Studies indicate that wearing glasses makes you appear less threatening in most situations. This is shown to be especially true if you are a man wearing eyeglasses.
- Trustworthiness: Psychological studies are interesting. Participants in such studies are not aware they are responding in a certain way until they are told the results or hear themselves answering differently than they would have expected themselves to. For instance, studies reveal that you may look more trustworthy to others if you are wearing eyeglasses with rims, as opposed to wearing rimless or semi-rimless glasses.
- Smarts: Ever since the creation of eyeglasses, stereotypes of eyeglass wearers have been around. Being intelligent is one of them. The perception goes like this: Because you wear glasses, you probably read more, and therefore are a more intelligent person. While a person wearing glasses could be pretty smart—and apparently they look like it to others—they are most likely wearing them to correct their overall vision.
- Personality: Whether you wear eyeglasses to see or are just making a fashion statement, other will perceive a certain feature as a desire for attention. We’re talking, of course, about the logo. Sure, a lot of pairs of glasses come with the brand stamped on them somewhere, but according to studies, wearing glasses with large or prominently placed logos tells others that fashion is important to you, and that you are looking to impress.
- Class: It may sound silly, but did you know that society places eyeglass wearers in a higher social class? It’s true—some people assume this means you are rich, successful or you think you’re better than others.
If you are looking to replace old eyeglass frames in Oshkosh, don’t hesitate to call or visit Dr. Jill’s Optical Shoppe. Our team can help you with everything from eye exams to frame fittings. Contact us today!