Glasses are an incredible, and often indispensable, component of our daily lives. Where would we be without our reading spectacles at a restaurant? How would we drive safely without our tinted prescription shades? Whether you’re nearsighted, farsighted or somewhere in between, glasses have the powerful ability to make all of our lives better.
Given their importance, it stands to reason that we should be diligent in caring for our glasses, so that they last a long time and keep us looking stylish and feeling great year-round. Here are some tips on how to properly care for your prescription glasses in Oshkosh:
- Rinse first: Throughout the day or week, imperceptible dust and dirt particles can settle in on the surface of your lenses. When you go to wipe your glasses off, you can unwittingly grind that debris into the glass. Luckily, there’s an easy fix: simply rinse your glasses with water before you clean or wipe them.
- Choose your sprays wisely: There’s nothing quite like a squeaky clean pair of eyeglasses, especially when you’ve done the job responsibly. This means always opting for a cleaner that is designed for eyeglass lens duty. Chemicals are no light matter, and spraying something that rests close to your eyes with a household cleaner such as Windex is never a good idea. Plus, Windex and other similar cleaning products have ammonia and other chemicals that can actually damage the coating on your lenses. Ask your optometrist to recommend a spray for your prescription glasses in Oshkosh.
- Select your cleaning cloth with care: Although it can be tempting, resist the urge to use regular household drying items, such as napkins, paper towels or tissue paper, on your lenses. They may appear soft, but they have a textured surface that can scratch the glasses. Many of them also shed tiny little particles onto the lenses, which quickly defeats the purpose of having cleaned the glasses in the first place.
- Let the air be your dryer: If you’re pressed for time, use an approved lint-free cloth to dry your glasses. But if at all possible, simply set your glasses on a clean space and let the air dry them. This is the most effective way to avoid getting dust and debris on your newly cleaned specs.
- Handle with care: If you take your glasses off, set them down properly—never lens-down—so you don’t get scratches on the lenses.
- Carry a case: Your glasses probably came with a case when you purchased them, and that’s because they need it for regular protection. If you don’t have a case, go get one right away, and keep your glasses in it anytime they aren’t on your face. This will ensure that they don’t get scratched, get knocked off of a table or accumulate dust and dirt.
When it comes to the longevity of your glasses in Oshkosh, a little common sense and a gentle touch will go a long way. If you have any questions about the care and cleaning of your spectacles, get in touch with Dr. Jill’s Optical Shoppe for assistance.